I did another happy dance this week. The proofread is done! I got the manuscript back from the proofreader and went through it to review the changes and was pleased to discover that they were few, far between, and all minor. So I accepted the corrections and, voila, the text of the manuscript is now finished. Complete. Hard to believe.
The next step is typesetting. I had hoped to hire a freelancer to do this for me but it was way outside of my budget. All is not lost however, I have some design background and I’m no stranger to the software involved, so I’m going to do it myself. I was able to buy an old copy of Adobe Pagemaker and upgrade it to the newest version of InDesign for only a couple of hundred dollars. If you’ve priced design software you’ll know that that’s great deal, and it’s an investment as it’ll be used on Rabbit Room Press projects hereafter.
I’ve spent a few days now refreshing my design and layout skills and learning the new software. It didn’t take long to get the basics down; like riding a bike, it all comes back to you once you start pedaling. It’s actually a lot of fun. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this kind of work.
So at this point, the book is roughly typeset and it’s got a clean, easy to read design that I think will be a pleasure to look at. There are details to fine tune but progress is steady.
I’m still looking for the right printer and I’ll talk about that process tomorrow.